Data from Technology > Network related dimensions in Google Analytics, such as Service Provider and Network Domain, have long been used for applications such as:
- bot/spam detection,
- internal traffic filtering, and
- lead generation/account based marketing (ABM).
Network dimensions in Google Analytics:
On 4th February 2020, Google Analytics (GA) deprecated the Service Provider and Network Domain dimensions. As a result, you will see (not set) under Service Provider and Network Domain dimensions on your Google Analytics dashboard. Hence, we can instead populate data for these dimensions from outside.
Delve AI offers an easy and automatic way to get Service Provider and Network Domain data into Google Analytics.
Connect your Google Analytics account to Delve AI platform
As a first step, you need to connect your Google Analytics account to Delve AI platform by signing up (for free) for Live Persona by Delve AI.
Join thousands of businesses that use Delve AI to gain deeper understanding of their digital users with automatically generated/updated buyer personas. Apart from personas, integration with Delve AI platform also provides B2B websites with:
- real-time email/notification alerts when companies visit your website, and
- automatic classification of organizations based on behavioral activity into visitor groups such as prospective business clients, job seekers/recruiters, media/press, partners/competitors, investors, government, passive blog readers.
Automatic set-up using Google Tag Manager
If you are using Google Tag Manager, then the set-up can be completed in two easy steps:
- On the Settings > Organizations page in your Delve AI dashboard, authorize Delve AI, using your Google Tag Manager credentials, to:
- add OrgInfo Service Provider and OrgInfo Network Domain custom dimensions in Google Analytics, and
- set up OrgInfo integration in Google Tag Manager.
- To increase visitor privacy (such as GDPR compliance), IP anonymization option is available. When turned ON, the last part of the visitor’s IP address will be removed, thereby making it anonymous.
If you have followed the steps above carefully, you should start to see data for OrgInfo Service Provider and OrgInfo Network Domain custom dimensions in Google Analytics, as well as resulting Organization/Internet Service Provider/Leads (B2B) data on Delve AI dashboard within 36-48 hours.
Set-up for analytics.js / gtag.js based Google Analytics installation
If you have installed Google Analytics on your site using analytics.js or gtag.js (instead of Google Tag Manager), then the set-up involves one automated step (for setting up custom dimensions in Google Analytics) and one manual step (for adding tracking code on your website).
- Authorize with your Google Analytics credentials to add OrgInfo Service Provider and OrgInfo Network Domain custom dimensions in Google Analytics.
- Add the tracking code shown, after Google Analytics code snippet on all pages on your website where GA is being used.
In this guide, we have shown how to get Service Provider and Network Domain data into Google Analytics via easy set-up on Delve AI platform.
Please contact us at email@example.com for any related questions or assistance.
This section describes the manual set-up procedures for Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager that are equivalent to the automatic set-up covered by Delve AI’s integration.
This information is provided purely for users who completed the procedures manually (before automated set-up was available in Delve AI platform) or for those would like to complete the steps manually in consultation with Delve AI's support team. Hence, these steps should not be attempted in conjunction with the automatic setup steps outlined above.
Setup custom dimensions in Google Analytics
- Go to your Google Analytics account and click on Admin in the bottom left corner.
- Under Property settings, select Custom Definitions → Custom Dimensions.
- Create two custom dimensions, named OrgInfo Service Provider and OrgInfo Network Domain respectively. Click “+New Custom Dimension” to add each dimension and follow steps as shown below.
Please note: Scope should be set to ‘Session’ and Active ‘ticked’
Note the index number of each of these custom dimensions,
as we will need them in the steps below.
Update organization tracking related settings on Delve AI dashboard
- Assuming you already have a Delve AI account, go to your Delve AI dashboard, select the correct business using the business dropdown on top, and click on Settings > Organizations on the menu on the left side.
- Set the correct index numbers of OrgInfo Service Provider and OrgInfo Network Domain custom dimensions on the Delve AI dashboard to match those as set in Google Analytics.
- Choose how you have installed Google Analytics on your site:
- Google Tag Manager
- For analytics.js and gtag.js installation types, add the orginfo.io code snippet after Google Analytics code snippet on ALL pages on your website where GA is being used.
For Google Tag Manager installation type, go to the Tag Manager console and perform the following steps: